SEO (search engine optimization) is the process that optimizes website content like images, keywords, and text for search engines like Bing, Google, and Yahoo to improve their search engine rankings. As a result, both the quality and volume of traffic to the website are improved.
Functions of Search Engines
Crawling: Software called a crawler or spider performs this process of fetching every web page associated to a website.
Indexing: This process generates an index of every fetched web page and stores them in a database for retrieval. Indexing also identifies expressions and words and that provide the best description of a page and assigning specific keywords to that page.
Processing: After getting a search request, the search engine makes a comparison of the search string, the combination of characters and words used for the search, against the database of indexed pages.
Retrieval of Results: As the final step, the results that are best-matched are retrieved then they are displayed by the browser.
Reasons Why SEO Is Important
- Most people will probably click on one of the top five listed in the SERPS (search engine results pages).
- After finding a website via a search engine, there is a greater chance it will be shared on social media channels such as Facebook, Google+, Twitter, etc.
- Websites that have several authors benefit from SEO both directly and indirectly. A direct benefit is increasing search engine traffic. An indirect benefit is getting a common framework through checklists that can be utilized before publishing content.
- A business with a search engine optimized website will typically have more customers than a similar business with a website that is not search engine optimized.
- If the website of a business is consistently in one of the top 5 positions, users will think it is more trustworthy than businesses ranked lower in the search results.
Part 2 will continue discussing how SEO can help your business.
Your website is a critical tool for your organization, the best means for declaring who you are and what you do to attract new clients and customers. Specializing in Custom WordPress, Website Designs, Mobile App Development, and Digital Marketing, Progressive Office will help you create a powerful presence on the web. Call our office in Atlanta (470) 430-1777 or Washington, D.C. (202) 462-4290 today.